Sometimes I can't


Some people eat their feelings.
I blog my feelings.
This is one of those times.

My little alarm clocks when off at 8:30 this morning, which isn't bad.
Still I just couldn't get out of bed.
I didn't want to get out of bed.
So I laid there for 15 minutes checking Instagram.
While they destroyed their play area.

I didn't want to make breakfast this morning.
Not even the microwaved kind.
Not even the bowl of cereal variety.
I just couldn't.

When I did finally make breakfast it was choose your own adventure.
Grilled cheese sandwiches.
Quesedillas.
Granola bars and Cheetos.

I didn't want to take out the trash that was over flowing.
I didn't want to clean off the table so we could eat.
I didn't want to start the laundry that's been sitting all week.

I couldn't bring myself to pick up the same toys again.
The same ones I've picked up all week.
The same ones that must have a life of their own.
The toys that I have threatened to throw out if I have to pick them up:
One. More. Time.

Because sometimes I just can't.
Sometimes I just can't make another grilled cheese sandwich that doesn't get eaten.
I can't bring myself to take the garbage out again, 
even though it's been stacked higher than me for a full 24 hours.
I can't pick up the same toys just for them to show up again.
Sometimes I can't fold another pair of tiny shorts or try in vain to find all the sock mates.
Sometimes I just can't.

Today was one of those days that I threw more tantrums than my kids.
Today was one of those days where I was embarrassingly ungrateful.
Today was one of those days that I sat instead of moved.
Watched a Harry Potter marathon instead of cleaned.
Doled out snack food instead of cooked.

But by the end of the day I found remorse.
I was sorry I cursed uneaten grilled cheese sandwiches.
Because tomorrow I'll make another that gets eaten.
I was sorry I was angry about little pairs of socks.
Little pairs of socks mean there are little feet to fill them.
I was sorry I delayed in getting out of bed.
It won't be long before my alarm clocks sleep later than I do.
I was sorry I almost wasted a Sunday on what I couldn't do.
Instead of what I could.

Today I found my silver lining.
In a life filled with laundry and uneaten grilled cheese.
A life of granola bar breakfasts and Cheeto lunches.
A life in a messy house, the same toys scattered in the same rooms.
A life that is chaotic, messy, and so imperfect it's funny.

Sometimes I think, I just can't.
But before I can give up there is that silver lining.
And it shows me that I can.